AMAZING PUGLIA: SASSI, TRULLI AND SALENTO
8 Days / 7 Nights HYBRID BIKE, E-BIKE, ROADBIKE
- Individual arrival in Matera. Famous for its Sassi and stunning landscapes, Matera, located on the border of Basilicata and Puglia, is not only breathtaking, but fascinating: Its history goes back more than 30,000 years. There are several rupestrian churches open to the public, a reproduction of a typical cave house that you can visit, and refurbished caves made into hotels and restaurants. The sassi districts are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (If you arrive late at night, we suggest you an extra stay in this wonderful and unique city). Overnight stay in Matera.
- MATERA - ALBEROBELLO 76 km / +650m (See profile). Bike and road map delivery, route description. Today you will cycle through the southern part of the Murgia to reach one of the most peculiar city in Italy, Alberobello, universally-known as the capital of the Trulli, distinctive, small, dry-stone buildings with a conical roof. There are about 1500 trulli scattered in Monti and Aia Piccola districts, both listed as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1996. Overnight stay in Alberobello.
- ALBEROBELLO - OSTUNI 52 km / +600m (See profile). Today you will ride over the hills dominating the Itria Valley. Nature lovers will not be disappointed: With its still expanses of olive trees as far as the eye can see, the Itria Valley is red soil, green groves and vineyards, and white trullo houses under a serene blue sky – essentially, a marvelous chromatic effect that repeats itself several times over. Before reaching your final destination, we suggest you to stop first in Locorotondo for a typical Italian aperitif tasting the white wine produced in this region, second in Martina Franca, for a short visit to its marvellously intact historic centre, its beautiful square, and stunning Palazzi, and last but not least in Cisternino for a lunch break, maybe in one of its typical butcher shops, where you can choose the meat you want to eat and they cook it for you. Finally you'll cycle to Ostuni, the White City, whose whitewashed arches and houses shine like a pearly white tiara, extending across three hills with the magnificent gem of a cathedral as its sparkling centrepiece. Overnight stay in Ostuni.
- TRAIN TRANSFER: OSTUNI - LECCE. Today you will go by train from Ostuni to Lecce (Journey time is appr. 55 minutes, cost of the ticket is Euro 5.70 - not included); Please note that bicycles travel FREE only on regional trains (train timetables). Once you arrive in Lecce, you can start cycling towards Gallipoli. (In case you prefer leaving immediately, remember that you will have the chance to visit Lecce at the end of the tour). You are in the land of Baroque, as you can see by visiting Galatina and Galatone and their beautiful churches. LECCE - GALLIPOLI 60 km / +245m (See profile). Overnight stay in Gallipoli.
- GALLIPOLI - SANTA MARIA DI LEUCA 71 km / +490m (See profile). Leaving behind Gallipoli you'll cycle along the Ionian coast headed to Torre San Giovanni. Here the crystal clear sea will tempt you…but it’s time to get back on your bike! A short detour will take you inland to see the small towns of Ugento and Specchia, one of the most beautiful 'BORGHI' in Italy. Then you will continue your ride for another 35 km reaching Santa Maria di Leuca, where the Ionian and the Adriatic Sea meet; this is the southernmost point in Salento, striking the visitor’s eye for its colors and unreal silence. Overnight stay in Santa Maria di Leuca.
- SANTA MARIA DI LEUCA - OTRANTO 60 km / +680m (See profile). Today you'll start riding northward along the beautiful coastline of the Adriatic Sea. Crossing the marinas of Tricase Porto and Castro Marina, you'll finally get to one of the most amazing city of Salento: Otranto. If you want you can have a delicious seafood dinner and take a walk throughout the historic centre and maybe buy some souvenirs from the local little shops. Overnight stay in Otranto.
- OTRANTO - LECCE 60 km / +300m (See profile). In the morning, if you want, there's time to visit the city. Otranto is best appreciated in its amazing cathedral, where the bones of 813 martyrs are displayed in a glass case behind the altar. Less macabre is the cathedral’s other jaw-dropper, its medieval mosaic floor, which rivals the famous early Christian mosaics of Ravenna in its richness and historical significance. Cycling along the Alimini Lakes, you’ll finally reach the seaside village of Torre dell'Orso: don't miss the opportunity to swim in the suggestive Grotta della Poesia. Before arriving in Lecce you will meet Acaya, a perfect stop for an authentic Italian espresso or for a drink at sunset in front of the castle. Overnight stay in Lecce.
- End of services and Goodbye.
Tour type: Self-guided Tour
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
Departures: any day in the week all year long.
Participants: Minimum of 2
Level of difficulty: easy / moderate - 380 kilometers
Bikes: Hybrid Bike
Offered Service: Bed and Breakfast
Luggage Transportation: Your luggage will be delivered to your next accomodation every day.
CATEGORY A: B&B / ECONOMY 3***
Low Season EUR 690 - Mid-Season EUR 855 - High Season EUR 1030
CATEGORY B: DE LUXE or 4****/5***** Hotels or MASSERIE
Low Season EUR 995 - Mid-Season EUR 1.305 - High Season EUR 1.610
Extra Charge E-bike EUR 150
LOW SEASON: 08th Jan - 31st May / 23rd Sept - 20th Dec
MID SEASON: 01st Jun-14th Jul / 24th Aug - 22nd Sept
HIGH SEASON: 15th Jul - 23rd Aug / Bank Holidays
Included: Bed & Breakfast service, bike rental + bike equipment, luggage transport service, information material and route description with maps, GPS with preloaded tracks.
Not included: Transfers Airport / hotel - Hotel / Airport, Health / Luggage insurance, Tourist taxes, and everything not mentioned as "Included".